[Vision2020] Pope Benedict XVI: One Giant Step Backwards for Humankind

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 12:29:19 PDT 2005

On 4/19/05, DonaldH675 at aol.com <DonaldH675 at aol.com> wrote:
> Thanks ACS.  It was one of the first questions that popped into my mind.
> Does he offer an explanation for his membership in the Nazi Youth, or was it
> just "one of those things".

Dave's overview of Ratzinger's involvement with the Nazis is
reasonably correct, though filtered through the lens of his
hagiographic biography. I'd only single out one fact for disagreement,
though: deserting the German Army in 1944 was all the rage. Everyone
who was anyone was doing it. It was your choice: desert or get shot by
Russians.

Ratzinger's moral cowardice in the face of the greatest atrocity of
the 20th century, frankly, disqualifies him for a position dispensing
moral dictates. Plus his "letter of advice" to American bishops
instructing them to deny Communion to pro-choice American politicians
is as abominable as it is theologically unjustifiable.

-- ACS