[Vision2020] Here's a thought

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:38:03 PDT 2005

If the President of MSU, Lou Anna Simon, is quoted correctly, then I'm afraid that she herself is unprepared for college.  Try following the grammatical flow of this statement without at least one beer in hand and three in the belly:

"'Our per-pupil funding in Michigan is very competitive and has not had a similar decline like with higher education going from, in earlier years, one of the top in the country to near the bottom,' the MSU president said in an interview with editors and reporters at The Macomb Daily."

Yes, well . . .

"Simon advocates a 'thinking-outside-the-box' concept that includes a 3-year high school, which allows top-tier students to enter college a year early, after their junior year."

The four-year high school I attended, William G. Enloe in Raleigh, NC, allowed qualified juniors and seniors to attend classes at any of Raleigh's colleges.  It was also the case that several members of my class skipped graduation (and the prom) and went straight on to college, sans high school diploma, at the end of their junior year.  The state of Washington has a program called Running Start which allows sophomores to take college courses.  My partner, Melynda, graduated a year early from Moscow High School in 1981 without taking any college courses at all; as far as I know, this is still possible.

I don't see President Simon thinking outside the box here; she's just made a new box -- an origami box, judging from the complex folds in her use of the English language.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment    Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com