[Vision2020] With gas at $2.50 a gallon it istimetocutCrosswalknumbers

Eric Martin rik82 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 14:27:10 PDT 2005

Proposing to save fuel by making it more difficult to
walk around this small town is one of the most
ridiculous threads I have ever seen on vision 2020 --
and thats saying a lot.

I don't care how much it costs truckers to wait 30
seconds so that somebody can cross the street.
Blaming the pedistrians for the total lack of any
reasonable kind of energy or transportation policy in
this country is just silly.  Unfortunately it is also
reflective of a much wider spread (a depressing)
mentality that our towns should be designed for cars
first and then -- maybe -- people.

This town is small enough to walk from one side to the
other in 45 minutes - an hour.  We ought to be
encouraging people to walk around, not proposing to
remove the few and poorly painted/marked crosswalks we
have.

Come on now, with just a little extra effort many of
us could walk, bike, or take public transport for many
of our in town activities/errands.

Eric