[Vision2020] Answer to Question #8 (was Ten Simple Questions on theBond)

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:01:52 PDT 2005

Saundra,

"Simply put, whether passage of the levy will cost *any* individual renter
*any* money depends on the individual property owner, *not* on anything the
district can do or know."

That answer might help you to sleep at night but it is 100% false.  Low
income housing, Good Sams, and Section 8 housing run at virtual cost. Any
property taxes passed will have to be passed on to the renters because there
is no difference between what the renters are paying and the cost of running
the apartment. Low income housing charges only what the government allows
them, which is just enough to keep the place running. If the property owners
do not raise rent on the low income tenants that means the property owner
would be running the apartment in the red. They cannot do that. If an
apartment costs $20,000 to operate that is what they charge the tenants. If
the taxes go up and it costs $21,000 that is what they have to charge the
$1000 to the tenants.

I have lived in low income housing. I know every time they have to paint the
building, or fix the sidewalk, or redo the roof they divide up the cost and
put it in a rent increase. They have to because the building runs at cost.
The same goes with property taxes.

Saundra, landlords of low income housing do not make the decision of when
they can raise rents or for what reasons. It is defined by the department of
Agriculture. I know, it should be the Department of Housing and Urban
Development, but it is not. So please check you facts. It is a 100% probably
that rents will go if this bond levy passes. It is not an arbitrary decision
made by a greedy landlord sitting on a pile cash. That is not the reality,
it is the one you wish exists so people can sleep at night. Well I cannot
sleep at night knowing that is what we are doing to others. And ignoring the
facts does not help people.

If you doubt my words I will take you as many apartments and the managers of
these apartments will tell you the same thing. If you raise the rent on low
income, they have to raise the rent, it is the law, they cannot run in the
red, the government will cease their property. But again, all you have to do
is ask, and I will take to you apartments, apartment managers, government
workers, and landlords that will tell you the same.

Burying your head in the sand to what you are doing with this levy does not
change the reality that you worsen peoples living conditions and quality of
life. You cannot raise taxes and have zero negative consequences.

If you doubt this, please call them yourself and ask if they have to raise
their rents when property rents go up and the effect on people with low
fixed income:

Hawthorn Apartments 882-3516
Rayann Apartments-882-2599
Moscow Apartment 882-2599