[Vision2020] Borah Symposium

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Thu Apr 14 21:57:48 PDT 2005

I am posting this for a friend of mine, Rula Awwad-Rafferty.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello I am contacting you on behalf of the Borah Foundation Committee at
the university of Idaho.  I am the Borah Foundation Committee Chair this
year and would like to invite you all to take part in this year's
symposium.  The Borah Foundation sponsors annual symposia to honor Senator
Borah and continue his work on behalf of peace.  This year's symposium
theme is "Voices of Peace".  This symposium pays tribute to all who worked
and are working on behalf of peace and humanitarianism; they rose above
the harshness and tragedy, sacrificed much, and still spoke in words and
actions to advance and promote peace in communities and world.  We learn
from their lessons, we share their hopes, and are inspired to follow on
their and our own steps to paths of peace.  The symposium is free and open
to the public, and below is a schedule of the events.  You can also view
the symposium' website at

http://www.martin.uidaho.edu/borah/2005_symposium.html

April 17-20:
2005 Borah Symposium
Topic: Voices of Peace
Please note that all events are free and open to the public.

Sunday, April 17:
7:00 pm, Kenworthy Theater, 508 S. Main Street, Moscow -  Free screening
of About Baghdad  www.aboutbaghdad.com
a 2004 independent documentary from InCounter Productions.  Co-Director,
Adam Shapiro, will introduce the film and hold a discussion following the
screening.

Monday, April 18:
SUB Ballroom, Lt. Gen Romeo Dallaire - 7:30 pm  "Genocide: A Humanitarian
Response".  General Dallaire will be introduced by Consul General Jeff Parker from the Canadian Consulate in Seattle.

Tuesday, April 19:
9:30 am to 2 pm, Horizon-Aurora Rooms, UI Commons:  The participants in the
evening panel discussion will each make a one hour presentation on a
subject of their choosing.

7:30 pm SUB Ballroom
Inter-Religious Panel: "Transforming Faith into Global Humanitarian
Action".
Dean Stewart, past chairperson of the Moscow Interfaith Association, will
serve as moderator for this event, which will feature Imam Yahya Hendi,
Reverend Dr. Hansulich Gerber, and Rabbi David Forman.

Wednesday, April 20
12:00 pm, Horizon-Aurora Rooms, UI Commons.  Adam Shapiro, former Director
of the Seeds of Peace Center for Coexistence in Jerusalem.  "Public Forum"

7:30 pm, SUB Ballroom.  Nobel Peace Laureate, Jody Williams, the founding
coordinator of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines (ICBL).

Many Thanks and Best Wishes
Rula

Rula Awwad-Rafferty, Ph.D.
Associate Professor