[Vision2020] Crosswalk issues

Jennifer McFarland jmcfarland at latah.id.us
Tue Apr 12 13:06:24 PDT 2005

Visionaries;
I've been reluctant to weigh in on this thread, but here is my two cents on
the subject (sorry, no refunds): whether or nor we reduce the number of
crosswalks emblazoned across the streets of Moscow is irrelevant because
Idaho law (as pointed out by a couple of posters to V2020) requires that
vehicles yield right-of-way to pedestrians regardless of markings or
signage.  The real issue, then, is a matter of common sense and respect (as
pointed out, I think, by Mr. Hansen).  If a pedestrian is in a crossway--or
at its mouth--waiting to cross a street, vehicles should yield to that
pedestrian--not just out of law but out of courtesy.  Likewise, out of a
sense of courtesy (and regard for personal safety) pedestrians should not
dart out into congested lanes of traffic.  Seems, too, that the issue of how
much fuel is saved is negligible when weighed against how many accidents are
avoided by both pedestrians and motorists sharing responsibilities for road
safety.
--Jennie

Note: if this posts multiple times, my apologies, we seem to be having some
problem here with email today.

Detective Jennifer L. McFarland
Latah County Sheriff's Office
Public Information Officer
PO Box 8068
Moscow, Idaho 83843
(208) 882-2216
Fax (208) 883-2281

Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to affairs.
***Ralph Waldo Emerson