[Vision2020] With gas at $2.50 a gallon it is time tocutCrosswalknumbers

cynthia nichols cynthiann0 at mac.com
Tue Apr 12 10:27:22 PDT 2005

Dick,
You said, "Pedestrians cross the road to get to the other side but they
need to do a little planning before they go so they don't stop my
3,500# Taurus. If they don't hustle when they cross I will blow my horn
and start moving ahead. ;-))"

When one takes a driver's test to get an Idaho driver's license,
usually he/she studies the vehicle code which states that cars must
yield to pedestrians at marked and UNmarked crosswalks. It seems to me
that even if the city removes crosswalks, you'd still have to stop for
a person who is crossing at an intersection. A crosswalk is really just
a way of helping drivers notice pedestrians. I walk all over Moscow and
use the crosswalks to cross. When I first moved here 3 years ago,
people graciously stopped, left lots of time for me to cross, even on
the highways. It is not so easy to cross now. People who know the law
and respect it still stop. I am grateful to them. But try crossing
Washington at  the police station! It's not easy.  I attribute that to
a greater degree of  an "I'm more important than you are (I'm in a
hurry), (I need to save 4¢ gas)" attitude in recent years. Something's
happened to Moscow in 3 years for some people to become so much less
courteous (hmmm). When I hear people talk about drivers' disrespect of
pedestrians "back east" I wonder, are they advocating that we become
more like Philly? Is that what we really want? I don't.

I hope that you and the city council come to  realize that crosswalks
are NOT a problem .
Furthermore, if I am in a crosswalk and you don't stop your 3500#
Taurus and end up hitting me, I authorize my husband to sue you for the
maximum amount he can get.   ;-))   Wouldn't it be more prudent for you
to brake for me?

Cynthia Nichols

PS-Because I walk so much, I fill up my tank only once a month or so.
You might try combining your Winco trip with a few other errands and
take streets other than 3rd. I've only lived here 3 years and I know
lots of routes. It's a gorgeous little town and I drive slowly through
pretty neighborhoods when I drive, noticing the beauty as I go.

PPS-I am a first time contributor to this list. I have begun writing
many replies but it really takes a brave person to add to this list if
they have a dissident view--and I realize that this e-mail may generate
a lot of vitriol. I may have to unsubscribe.