[Vision2020] The Price of Gas

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Apr 12 07:00:36 PDT 2005

Well actually Donovan, you assumed that all costs of products using oil
rose.  I never made that assumption or statement.  I don't accept your
statement that everything is made of plastic.  It is probably purchased
with plastic .........

Also I never stated that the prices of all goods and services rose.  I
think that you made that assertion in your earlier post.  Also, I did not
state that the inflation rate was 6.5%, I inferred that if the rate was
approx. 6.5% over the 40 year period, then the real price of oil has not
gone up.  But if we can agree on the index that we will use to define
inflation, we can continue the dialogue.  What about the CPI or the WPI?

"1964 a bad year for gas"  Heartburn maybe, but gas - we were awash with
oil.  Well, again I was musing about 1965 and the price of gas. I do
remember several of us teenagers complaining that gas had gone up a couple
of pennies over the past year.  But a "bad year for gas"?  No, I don't
think so.

We will just have to agree to disagree on whether we can compare living
standards in 1965 with 2005.  Many of the measures will be soft, but social
scientists use them all the time.  Let see, you are a social scientist
aren't you (political science undergrad and education grad student)? But
there will be hard stats as well.  Gee, during the 1960's folks drove cars,
lived in houses, had indoor plumbing, there was television and radio,
stereo was hot as were betamax and 8-track. Heck, we even had  our own
version of the Iraq war.

Folks back then complained about government, about low wages, about high
taxes, about the lack of social programs - almost like today, they
complained about most everything.

And even old folks like me can remember back 40 years and there are alot of
us around.  Maybe we could start by asking them to compare then and
now.  My hunch is that most of us would agree that the music was better!

Aww - shucks.  Well let's agree on a price level index and we will go from
there.