[Vision2020] assistant football coach/"disturbing the peace"

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:57:38 PDT 2005

Ron writes of Willard L'Hote:

"He pleaded out, and was given a "withheld judgement"-- ie, if he kept his nose clean for a number of years, the offense would disappear from his record.

Campus charges were brought against him by the administration.  The case was heard on campus by a faculty committee, which recommended against his dismissal on the grounds that he hadn't been convicted of a felony. The President at the time (Tom Bell)over rode the recommentation and asked the
Board of Regents that he be fired.  He was."

I remember this case well.  I had a friend who was a professor in the Art Dept. at the time, and he said that L'Hote was suspended *with pay* for a year while the faculty committee considered his case.  Under the circumstances, i.e., L'Hote stabbed a graduate student in a bar fight as they argued over the affections of another student, the faculty committee's recommendation against his dismissal was ridiculous.  Tom Bell was quite right to over-ride it and ask that L'Hote be fired.

We cannot have faculty stabbing students, and we cannot have assistant football coaches pointing guns at them, either.  These decisions, it seems to me, should be clear and simple.  Threaten or stab a student, lose your faculty/coaching job.  We're talking about the University of Idaho here, not the University of the East Sprague Tom Cat Club.  Brice should have his ass in a sling; instead, he's receiving assistance in "rehabilitating" his good name?  Horse puckey!

I am thoroughly disgusted.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com