[Vision2020] Buildings old and new

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Sun Apr 10 11:28:30 PDT 2005

It is becoming increasingly unlikely that rural areas can rely on only
attracting one or two big businesses to support a local economy.  Recent
trends are pointing towards local entrepreneurship, creating clusters of
smaller businesses that revolve around a specific niche (eg recreation or
service or medical), and identifying and supporting local and unique
assets. How does Moscow promote and support small, locally
owned businesses and promote entrepreneurial development? Look at the
limits on in-home businesses in Moscow. Resources available for small
business owners and those who want to start one, etc.

I'd like to recommend a few sites that look at poverty and rural
development, esp in the northwest. Disclaimer, I am partially funded by
the Northwest Area Foundation. However, they have a wealth of resources
and a strong focus on poverty reduction and population decline in the
rural northwest. Also check out the indicators website for demographic
data for the inland northwest (http://www.indicators.nwaf.org/)

Northwest Area Foundation http://www.nwaf.org/default.aspx

Center for Rural Entrepreneurship (Kellogg Foundation)
http://www.ruraleship.org/index_html

USDA Rural Development http://www.ruraleship.org/index_html

Economic Research Service: Economics of Food, Farming, Natural Resources
and Rural America (USDA) http://www.ers.usda.gov/

This is just a brief sample of resources but I think communities need to
shift their focus from looking for someone to come in and rescue the
economy (eg another Schweitzer Engineering Lab) and instead grow their own
entrepreneurial climate.

Debbie

  Debbie Gray      dgray at uidaho.edu
  We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
  so as to have the life that is waiting for us." --Joseph Campbell