[Vision2020] 2003 Average Tax Rates

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Fri Apr 8 20:51:55 PDT 2005

If property values soar, as they have in Kootenai and
Bonner Counties, then I think the tax rate naturally
decreases, though property owners don't pay any fewer
dollars.

That would suggest that simply comparing tax rates
doesn't provide a good picture of which counties are
doing a good -- or at least a cheap -- job of governing
and educating.

But I don't even know how successful the state is in
getting assessed value to be uniformly close to market
value. Thus we have a teachable (learnable) moment for me.

Don Coombs