[Vision2020] 2003 Average Tax Rates

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Apr 8 17:18:24 PDT 2005

All,

Jeff and I have discussed this matter in person and naturally we agree on some things and disagree on some things.

First, as noted by Jeff, Mark, and Barbara, Latah County has a disproportionately large base of government and other non-taxpaying organizations.  There is little we can do about the government entities.  Thanks to the Lund/Huskey Steamroller, we see that we can do something about some of the faux non-profits.

Second, Jeff thinks that the high county tax rates may discourage economic development in terms of in-migration of established companies.  I am not so sure.

Many companies are looking for locations with excellent education facilities at all levels, a low crime rate, clean air, and healthy outdoor recreational activities.  The cost of education, pro-active, effective law enforcement, and varied parks and recreation activities cost money.  Almost everyone desiring these knows things cost money and consequently expect higher taxes.

Economic development is very important.  However, I think it also important to avoid economic development which is not environmentally compatible and to avoid companies who want to enjoy our quality of life but do not want to pay for it -- hence giving the rest of us a higher tax burden.  Such an attitude might discourage some companies from relocating, however, I think we should be both aggressive and picky in out recruiting efforts.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com