[Vision2020] Tax abuse rampant in nonprofits

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Thu Apr 7 18:17:30 PDT 2005

Barbara,
Thanks for your response.  I have a couple more questions that maybe you (or
others) can help with.
Is Moscow's tax burden really heavier than "normal"?  It seems that we have
a very significant quantity of tax exemption (UI; LCCH; USPO; IDL; City,
County, Federal agencies; churches; and other non-profits) relative to our
population.  What would your guess be at a % or ratio of actual received
taxable vs. potential taxable (if everybody paid taxes) revenues?  Or
another way is: what % more is needed to be paid by the smaller group to
"make-up" for the whole not paying?

You are very right that there is a unique perception of what you pay for and
what you get.  People seem to want more than they are willing to pay for.
There seems to be a very high level of DIY / utilitarian characteristic
(maybe because of our area's significant agrarian/frontier heritage.)  How
do people begin to understand the value of paying for better life-cycle
costs and be willing to pay more as an investment for the future?  Are we
short-timers that don't care about the future and are incomes so depressed
that higher cost is not seen as investment, but rather extra expense?

Mark

Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112