[Vision2020] Moscow, growth, and MHS

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:18:00 PDT 2005

Ted writes:

"Joan et. al. . . . What is missing in all your humor is the slightest recognition of my central point that I stated several times regarding discussion of Moscow's growth, a point that a genius of your caliber perhaps finds too insignificant to comment on.

Why bother, it's only the future of all life on our planet?  I'm out of this game!"

I'll let you in on a secret, Ted . . . "a genius of my caliber" can only address your central point about Moscow's (and the world's) growth by making reference to terrifying articles she reads in the National Geographic  I don't find your point insignificant; I find your point frightening.  And so, like Scarlet O'Hara, I won't think about that today; I'll think about that tomorrow.  Is this irresponsible?  Yes.  Is this thoughtless?  Yes, again.  But I had insomnia for a week after I read an extensive piece in the National Geographic a few months ago about the end of cheap oil  We are rolling downhill like a snowball headed for hell, and it's hard for me to see (other than by making my own small efforts to drive fuel-efficient cars, to recycle, and to make do or do without) just what I can do to dramatically reduce global -- okay, American -- over-consumption.  Not in a discussion about whether or not we should pass a school facilities bond.

No, we can't go on like we've been going on.  I not only concede your point, Ted, I agree with you whole-heartedly.  But to think about over-population, over-consumption, and unrestrained global growth in any great detail at the moment just makes me long for a really strong martini and a Valium chaser.  THIS IS NOT A JOKE.  If you can wait a month or so, the days will be longer, the skies will be sunnier, and I'll feel considerably less anxious.  Then, I'd be more than happy to talk about your larger point at length.  It is an important point -- but it's not a timely topic of discussion for those of us who suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder.  We're too busy gazing out the window wondering if the rain will ever stop and the sun will ever come out.

Now, get back in the game, Ted.  We need you here.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.auntie-establishment.com