[Vision2020] Legislative report

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Apr 5 10:25:57 PDT 2005

Visionaries:

As the legislative session comes to a close, I write to provide a brief synopsis of the major issues that were before us this session.  I would also like to relate how I feel about the end results of the 2005 legislative session.

The tone of this legislative session was set at the very beginning.  The Governor indicated that the 6% sales tax rate would sunset as scheduled.  With that stroke, about $180,000,000 was lost.  With that went support for public and higher education, health programs, and fair salary increases for public employees and public school teachers.  The budgets set by the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee were at a bare minimum.

Some of us argued vigorously for more money for employees and programs.  The big issue looming involves a taxing system that is neither fair nor adequate.  We will continue to insist that this issue be addressed.

At the same time, this legislature voted for tax breaks and incentives well in excess of $10,000,000.  We would hope these will provide economic stimuli and be good investments for Idaho, but these are rarely evaluated, and are not removed if not effective.

Water issues consumed our attention, with the Nez Perce and Eastern Snake Plain Aquifer agreements.

Certain aspects of the bills to address the water crisis in the Eastern Snake Plain Aquifer were troubling.  To begin, the process reflected little consideration for Idaho citizens.  In a rush to pass these pieces of legislation, a complex funding plan was discussed and passed prior to giving the public an opportunity to inspect it. The funding bill was passed ahead of a mechanism for providing the money.  Many questions were not adequately considered, including the high cost of buying water rights from approximately 10 to 20 farmers.

There have been questions about my negative vote on this issue, as the bill contained money for Palouse water studies.  Please accept my assurances I would not have jeopardized that funding for our District.  However, on your behalf, I felt obligated to object to a process where citizens like you do not have the opportunity to see the details of legislation prior to action on it.

On a positive note, I was proud to be instrumental in favorable outcomes.  I made motions in the Joint Finance Committee for support of Agriculture Research and Extension and Vocational-Technical Education that were supported.  When Public Television was threatened by lack of funding for replacement of obsolete equipment, I crafted a proposal to provide that support.

At the time of this writing, there is not final resolution on the GARVEE bonding for financing road construction.  It is my hope that we will retain the funding mechanism, but with limits on debt level and more flexibility on projects.

As always, please contact me with your concerns.

Shirley

Ringo