[Vision2020] school levy

bill bonte bbonte at moscow.com
Sun Apr 3 12:25:19 PDT 2005

Ted Moffett writes about the increasing traffic congestion in Moscow.

This is an important issue that bears directly on the question of the
school levy.  First of all a new high school on the Trail property will
mean a substantial increase in traffic.  Specifically there will be
student and staff traffic on Mountain View, F Street and D Street.  At
the present time, many students leave campus to eat lunch in downtown
Moscow or at the COOP.  Students who want to leave campus to eat lunch
would have to drive to eat off campus, so there would not be just two
trips per day, but four.  There would be additional heavy vehicle and
construction traffic as the area surrounding the high school is
"developed".  Eventually there would be commercial development on the
northeast side to service the high school and new residences, drawing
business from downtown, making new roads necessary, more traffic
congestion...

Secondly, a new high school is less expensive than a remodel because of
the demands of the automobile.  Property adjacent to the present high
school has to be purchased, buildings have to be torn down and parking
lots have to be constructed!  I guess students need a place to park,
even though MSD has a large and expensive fleet of busses.  I don't
believe high school students have a right to park.  I taught at large
high schools for 30 years.  There was always a parking problem, no
matter how large the lot. The building of new parking is always the
most expensive solution.  If New Saint Andrews does not have to provide
parking for its staff and students, why does MHS?

Why not get a variance from the city on parking, encourage students to
take the bus, and redo the bid to remodel, not rebuild MHS without the
expensive parking accommodations.  That's what the levy asks us to
approve for the elementary schools, let's do the same for the high
school.