[Vision2020] Where will it all come from?

Shelly CJs at Turbonet.com
Sat Apr 2 16:27:36 PST 2005

Janesta,

Keeping the city together is called the city council and the mayor.

Some of the things I would like to see happen is The University of Idaho
needs to stay a teaching institution and stop taking away tax paying
enterprises. The University told the public that their new food court would
not hurt tax paying businesses. Well, it has. What happened to The Subway
store in the mall? What happened to the businesses that were previously in
the building the Ale House now is in? Lots of food businesses in Moscow are
hurting. And now they want to open a Pub on campus? After fighting their
stigma of a party House, now they want to open a Pub? When they can't even
control the alcohol on campus now.

The University buys up housing and we, the tax payers, pay for the students
children that the University houses. What we are facing is a similar
situation that Social Security is facing. Too few of us paying taxes on the
outside to support the University and all of it's enterprises. Maybe we
should get  a subsidy from the state for housing the university? Maybe the
food court should be taxed? It makes a profit. We get taxed on improvements.
So should they. If it is for profit and not educational purposes. The
University causes a lot of our tax woes. What is going to happen to the tax
paying coffee house that just opened oh and Bucers and Starbucks at the mall
 when they build their "new cafe" on campus? If the University is going to
put everything on campus they might as well buy downtown cause there are not
going to be enough people to support downtown. There is your new high school
 There is your new police station. There is your new court house. Pick a
building. They are all going to be vacant. Everyone will be bankrupt. Our
politicians are not negotiating properly with the University and the state.
Don't bankrupt us one at a time. Pack your bags and move out.  You are
killing the tax paying citizens of Moscow. Quit the threats of moving The
Law School and or The engineering department. Just do it. Get it over with.
Then there is no need for a High School. There won't be anybody here. To pay
for it.

Phil