[Vision2020] Walmart....... a different perspective?

Robert Dickow dickow at uidaho.edu
Fri Apr 1 18:10:58 PST 2005

Walmart does not accurately interpret MY consumer needs. Frankly, I'm
surprised they are still in business...

Here's why I don't shop at Walmart unless I have some kind of 'emergency:'

I recently needed some 3" clay flower pots. Evidently they stock all sizes
except 3 inch. 3 inch pots don't sell as well as other sizes, so they don't
stock them.

They never have a wide selection of goods in any given class or of a wide
range of prices and qualities. I like a good selection, and I prefer not to
buy cheap junk in many cases.

They never seem to have salespeople who are knowledgeable enough about the
products or the application for which I need a product in order to be fully
helpful to me.

The garden departments I have visited often have the lowest grade of plants
and the most dull, common varieties. The plants are often not properly cared
for, or are kept in stock for sale too long and may be in poor condition.

Often I can't find something I need, and it turns out the store doesn't
stock the item or brand... such as what I might consider, say, a common
hardware item such as a knob or bracket, or a battery or something.

There is often an employee standing at the entrance who, for some reason,
scrutinizes me intensely in an unnerving manner as I enter the store, and
then may utter some inane pleasantry such as 'Hello'.

They hawk too many sweets and treats near the check out counters, or place
them in other obtrusive places. I'm too easily tempted.

The 'emergencies' I mentioned above? Well, they didn't have what I needed in
those 3 cases I was thinking of.

Finally, the stores are sterile, noisy, crowded, and ugly.

So, if their apparent success is just because people can save a dollar or
two, that's fine for them I guess.

Bob Dickow