[Vision2020] Idaho Is Poorly Managed by a bunch of Ignorant Republican Farmers

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Fri Apr 1 01:36:52 PST 2005

Dick Schmidt wrote:

"They had perfect opportunity to fund education this past week with
their CF (those who have been in the military know what CF means)
handling of the renewal of the cigarette tax. Idaho has the lowest
cigarette tax in the area and they should have added $1.00 on to the tax
for a total of $1.57 a pack for cigarettes and used the money for
education but no, these people are just too damn stupid!"

Well Dick,  Montana just instituted such a tax voted in by referendum
and guess what?  Cigarette tax revenues are down $1 million for the
first two months of 2005 over 2004 before the tax was levied. This is
due in no small measure to the fact that, in both Montana and Idaho, we
have an abundance if tribal reservations where state taxes are not
collected.

As well, the tobacco tax is highly regressive in that the great
preponderance of people who smoke are in the lower income brackets.  So
taxing the "poor" seems as though it would make getting an education
more difficult for those who need it to lift them up to a higher
economic strata.

I'll grant you that "these people are just too damn stupid!", but there
is nothing new in that. As I say, never underestimate the stupidity of
your government.

db