[Vision2020] Question for debate-"Why not open theUS-MexicanBoarder?"

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Wed Sep 29 14:22:39 PDT 2004

As nearly any reputable economist could tell you, immigrants generate money
in the U.S. economy.  It is simply not true that immigrants--documented or
not--drain the resources of our nation.  Undocumented immigrants are not
eligible for most social services, including welfare and food stamps. They
are not eligible for Social Security or unemployment benefits, although they
frequently pay into those systems through payroll taxes.  Documented
immigrants contribute to the economy, do not receive benefits at a higher
rate than those of us born in the U.S., and generate a net surplus of nearly
$30 billion dollars each year.  Recent immigrants (both documented and
undocumented) commit fewer crimes per capita than their U.S. born peers.
They have substantially lower rates of drug addiction, too.  But don't take
my word for it:

www.immigrationforum.org

A source with an agenda, to be sure, but a very reputable one, with
substantial research resources at its disposal.

The "things" you're suggesting we shoot, Dick, are human beings, from whose
exploitation you and I benefit--far from not being able to afford them, we
presently enjoy substantially lower prices on any number of agricultural
products, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, *because* of their poorly
compensated, dangerous, and despised labor.

Melynda Huskey