[Vision2020] Mount St. Helens Website

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Tue Sep 28 16:29:24 PDT 2004

It was ash...but a very fine gritty ash that made the sky so gray and dense
that all the automatic lights went on. Everything we touched had the feel of
grit that had not been washed off...but you really couldn't keep up with it.
Each movement brought more to the surface. The automatic doors that we had
then (not many) would not work right for a time. I had a son who graduated
from Troy Idaho high that month and the ceremony had to be changed from the
football field to the gym. All in all a singular experience that I do hope
won't be repeated soon. But I have a son who teaches in Philadelphia and he
shows his students his jar of ash and tells them his story each year in May.
One of the really funny stories was from some friends who were driving to
Seattle the day it happened and suddenly the sun is going out and there is a
ash in the air! They were trying very hard to remember what they knew about
the book of Revelations before someone had the good sense to turn on the
radio and heard what it really was. An enlightning moment for them I assure
you.
PK