[Vision2020] U of I task force & football

Jack Van Deventer jack at moscowUSA.com
Tue Sep 28 06:34:27 PDT 2004

I agree, Carl.  The UI's ability to survive (athletically andr financially)
in I-A football is very questionable.  Currently the UI is ranked as the
worst team out of all 117 I-A football programs.  For the 3rd straight
season they've been ranked worst at some point in the season.

Currently, UI is last in scoring offense, scoring the fewest points in the
nation, at 8 ppg.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/national%20rankings/IA_teamscoroff.html

And, they are last in scoring defense, yielding the most points in the
nation, at 44 ppg.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/Internet/national%20rankings/IA_teamscordef.html

Still, the choice may not be in the hands of the UI faithful.  The Vandals
need to average 15,000 people per game.  It helps that the WSU game in
Pullman counted as a "home" game for the Vandals.  But they'll still need to
draw 8800 people per game for the remaining home games against LA-Lafayette,
LA-Monroe, and Arkansas State to meet NCAA requirements.

Clearly, the U of I has some tough choices to face in the future.

Jack
Jack Van Deventer
jack at moscowUSA.com