[Vision2020] U of I task force: Vandals should consider I-AA football

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt at moscow.com
Fri Sep 24 17:03:06 PDT 2004

Looks like they have come up with something very constructive! It is about time! Now just listen to the die hards whine!

Dick
U of I task force: Vandals should consider I-AA football

Edition Date: 09-24-2004
The Idaho Vandals should consider the possibility that it may be time to move back to Division I-AA football, according to a report by the university's Vision and Resource Task Force.

The report, released this week, said the athletic department is not achieving goals related to finances, wins and losses, and attendance. "... The trend in recent years at this university is for athletics to consume an even larger share of our resources. This is a matter of serious concern, especially in a time of major budget constraints. ... Although we support continuing with intercollegiate athletics, we offer a number of recommendations to maintain athletics as a fiscally and socially responsible part of our university. We also consider the possibility that time will prove that we should step away from Division I-A football.''

University president Timothy White said the Vandals are committed to Division I-A football and he will not consider the request from the task force.

In June, the Vandals accepted an invitation to leave the Sun Belt Conference for the Western Athletic Conference beginning in the fall of 2005.

The task force - comprised of university faculty, students and staff - recommended the development of an exit strategy from the WAC and Division I-A football "in the event that financial sustainability and NCAA Division I-A requirements cannot be met.''

The exit strategy must be developed by May 1, 2005, the task force said. The plan to meet financial, win-loss and attendance targets also should come with a time line "for demonstrating consistent success at meeting the targets (we recommend no longer than five years),'' the report said. The task force report also halted any potential athletic-related capital campaigns, including the possibility of building a new football stadium "until there is a consistent demand for football tickets and there is sold out or near sold out attendance" at the Kibbie Dome.

When Idaho accepted the invitation to join the WAC, athletic director Rob Spear said the school was developing a long-range facilities plan that could eventually result in a new on-campus football stadium to replace the 29-year-old Kibbie Dome.