[Vision2020] public disclosure

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Sep 24 07:20:12 PDT 2004

Visionaries,

The Center for Public Integrity has just issued a report analyzing
what personal financial information state legislators are required to
report and any conflicts (such as sitting on committees that regulate
a legislator's business) that may exist. States were ranked on
several criteria.

Idaho (along with Michigan and Vermont) ranked at the bottom as Idaho
does not require ANY personal disclosure.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/oi/report.aspx?aid=377&sid=300

When I ran for county commissioner in 1990, Idaho did not require
campaign contribution/expense reporting for county offices. I chose
to voluntarily disclose all my campaign financial information and
made it available to the public and press. I was the only county
commissioner candidate in the state to do so, my opponent refusing
saying it wasn't required by law. The next year, the Legislature
closed this loophole and passed amendments to the campaign sunshine
laws extending requirements to county office.

Within the week, I will voluntarily post to Vision2020 my personal
financial statement as would be required if I was a candidate in
Washington State, the state ranked highest in the Center for Public
Integrity study.

Mark Solomon