[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Sep 24 05:40:39 PDT 2004

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho

Alumni and Friends

September 24, 2004

Dear Friends,

As you can imagine, the campus community still is reeling from the news of
the past week. The healing process continues, and I believe I can report to
you that we are making progress. Thank you to all who have sent messages of
concern. Members of the University of Idaho family from around the globe are
rallying to support fellow Vandals, and it means much to those who are
hurting at this difficult time. We are posting your thoughtful comments so
all may benefit.

We are making every possible resource from the University Counseling Center
available to students, faculty and staff - especially members of Delta Sigma
Phi and the Vandal football team. More than 200 students attended a support
gathering Monday night for the friends and family of Jason Yearout and Jack
Shannon; a memorial vigil for both students was held at the Delta Sigma
house afterward. A large contingent of students, faculty, staff and
administration will be attending the students' funerals. Jason's is
scheduled for Saturday afternoon; Jack's on Sunday afternoon. Both will be
held at the Cloverdale Funeral Home in Boise. Karen and I will take a few
students, including the ASUI president, with us along with the dean of
students, the dean of the college where Jack and Jason were majoring, and
our Greek adviser.

Friends and family of Eric McMillan gathered Monday evening for a
candle-light vigil, and then over-filled the Hartung Theatre Wednesday
evening for a remarkable and moving memorial service in his honor. The
family is planning a separate funeral at their home in Tuskegee, Ala. The
police investigation into Eric's murder continues. We are posting updates
from the Moscow Police Department on the UI Web page.

On a different topic, the University Vision and Resources Task Force about
which I wrote last week delivered its report to me Wednesday morning. This
report presents ideas and recommendations for a long-term design for the
university that is based upon a shared vision, a commitment to excellence,
and that is attendant with necessary budget cuts, reallocations and
possibilities of revenue generation. The report can be downloaded at
www.vrt.uidaho.edu/home.

The report initiates a process of review and refinement and provides an
opportunity for meaningful conversation and decision-making that will have a
powerful impact on our university. I have asked the provost, the vice
president for finance and administration, the vice president for research
and outreach, and the academic deans to submit thorough analyses of the
report. Those, too, will be posted on the Web by Oct. 11.

A month-long period of open commentary will follow those postings, and I
encourage your participation. Members of the university community, including
statewide constituents and stakeholders, will be invited to submit
observations. Once the comment period begins on Oct. 12, you can send your
input the President's Office, University of Idaho, P.O. Box 443151, Moscow,
ID 83844-3151 or preferably by e-mail at president at uidaho.edu.

Tim White

President