[Vision2020] The Birth of Thomas Dolby (was The Death of Darwinism)

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 16 13:50:29 PDT 2004

Dear Visionaries:

Aaron Rench of the Collegiate Reformed Fellowship greets us with "The Coming Death of Darwinism: Why Your Grandchildren Will Not Believe In Evolution."

Uh-huh.  And perhaps my great-grandchildren will believe in a flat earth.  Everything old is new again.  Time to dig out the Zoot suit and practice the Charleston.

In the meantime, what did I do with that application for Canadian citizenship?  Miss Sakamoto has tidied up my desk again and I can't find anything!

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment/Pro-Science

PS: For those out there in Etherland too young to remember Thomas Dolby, Miss Sakamoto is a reference to "She Blinded Me with Science," from 1982's The Golden Age of Wireless.  BTW, if you like being blinded by science, and you'd rather not make the journey to the U of I Student Union Ballroom next Thursday to hear Phillip Johnson explain not the death of Darwinism but rather, I suspect, the birth of so-called Intelligent Design, then why not come on down to the Couer d'Alene Brewing Company and join me for a brewski and a sing-along?  I'll be there at 7:30, working out the kinks from my new Tae Kwon Do class.  Painful stuff, these martial arts -- not nearly as easy as Jet Li makes it look.

"It's poetry in motion
She turned her tender eyes to me
As deep as any ocean
As sweet as any harmony
Mmm - but she blinded me with science
'She blinded me with science!'
And failed me in biology

When I'm dancing close to her
'Blinding me with science - science!'
I can smell the chemicals
'Blinding me with science - science!'
'Science!'
'Science!'

Mmm - but it's poetry in motion
And when she turned her eyes to me
As deep as any ocean
As sweet as any harmony
Mmm - but she blinded me with science
And failed me in geometry

When she's dancing next to me
'Blinding me with science - science!'
'Science!'
I can hear machinery
'Blinding me with science - science!'
'Science!'

It's poetry in motion
And now she's making love to me
The spheres are in commotion
The elements in harmony
She blinded me with science
'She blinded me with science!'
And hit me with technology

'Good heavens Miss Sakamoto - you're beautiful!'

I - I don't believe it!
There she goes again!
She's tidied up, and I can't find anything!
All my tubes and wires
And careful notes
And antiquated notions

But! - it's poetry in motion