[Vision2020] Moscow Community Blood Drive

Debbie Gray dgray at uidaho.edu
Thu Sep 16 10:21:41 PDT 2004

Well, Donovan, if you had just started a well-stated dialogue (or
even monologue) about disenfranchisement of various groups in regards
to blood donation and/or blood recipients, I would have listened. If
you had chosen to talk about how to educate people so they don't make
a 'wasted trip' to donate blood (see also the Red Cross and various
other organizations that will give lots of information plus a 1-800
number for any potential donors with questions), I would have
listened. If you had pointed out that people not eligible to donate
can do other things to encourage the process, I would have listened.

Instead you throw out the following comments:

>Mr Merkle,
>Does this blood drive discrimate against Gays, Lesbians,
>Bisexuals, Blacks, and non-Christians from giving blood?

Nowhere does that state your dissatisfication with current blood
donor laws. In fact, if I weren't so naïve and hadn't just driven in
on my tractor from the back 40 of HicksVille cause I ain't from
around here, I would even think that you were specifically targeting
a New St. Andrews/Logos/Christ Church/etc sponsored event in the
attempt to further air your opinions on that organization.

I don't think the US is lost in the 1950s regarding their acceptance
of blood donations. If it were, there wouldn't really be concerns
about hepatitis, HIV, mad cow disease, etc. Weren't we blissfully
unaware? OK maybe communists weren't allowed to donate their "pinko
blood"... Unfortunately, the reality at present  concerns these
things in our environment. Look at the World Blood Donor Day website
(a joint project of many different organizations).
http://www.wbdd.org/qna/index.html
They have the same recommendations:

"You should not donate blood if:
    * You have or may recently have contracted a sexually transmitted
disease, such as HIV or syphilis, that can be passed on to a patient
who receives your blood
    * Your lifestyle puts you at risk of contracting an infection
that can be transmitted through your blood: for example, if you have
more than one sexual partner or have sexual contact with prostitutes
    * You have ever injected drugs
    * You have recently had a tattoo, skin scarification or ear or
body piercing
    * You have had sexual contact with anyone in the above
categories. "

Are these too restrictive and limiting the supply? Yes. Is it the
fault of Christ Church? umm, no. Can you do anything about it? I
don't know, but you could try. Do people get hepatitis from tattoo
parlors, yes. Do people who have risky sexual activities have a
higher incidence of who knows what? (oh my GOSH! The World Blood
Donation Day group is discriminating against PROSTITUTES AND THOSE
WHO MIGHT ENGAGE IN BUSINESS TRANSACTIONS WITH PROSTITUTES!!! STOP
THE PRESS!!! I am appalled!!!  A heroin user who slams it in his
viens with a needle he found in the 4th stall of the metro station!
Will no one respect his civil rights to get $50 for some plasma!?! A
drippy sailor with syphillis? Oh the inhumanity!)

And how do blood collection policies translate into 'discriminatory
communty practices? (quote:  "If saying something against
discrimination that is destructive to the community makes me create
of "cesspool of spite" then that is fine, I will create more
cesspools of spite by bringing up more discriminating policies in the
community as they come up.) Again, I think you are specifically
targeting a blood drive sponsored by a group you find questionable,
not just policies around the world on blood collection.

Also, I don't see how you make the leap that attitudes that are,
gasp, different than yours are the ones that have "allowed hatred,
bigotry and stereotyping to last for so long in this country"
I had no idea! I need to refresh my attitudes and recatalog the ones
that focus on hatred (hmmm. the only thing I don't like is arrogant
opinionated superior types who are unwilling to respect the opinions
of somebody else, but that probably doesn't apply in this forum)
bigotry (say, bigotry against a church or people who have a different
opinion of things? Does that sound familiar?) or stereotyping (all
christ church members are white christian males who discriminate
rampanatly against everyone OTHER! I know it is true for I have read
it in the Moscow Pullman Daily Snooze!!!!)

So really, Donovan, I don't think your initial post had anything to
do w/blood donation policies. It was simply a knee-jerk response to
the idea that a group you don't like, you disagree with, and that you
would rather see disappear from this town is organizing a blood
drive. Sure, complain about policies, distribute information, work to
educate peole, change things. That's great, I'm all for it. But
condemn a blood drive because of one of the hosts (who seems to have
brought along quite a diverse crowd of other supporters)? What is the
point?

Debbie

DebbieGray                 dgray at uidaho.edu