[Vision2020] Ferners in the White House

Ron Force rforce at moscow.com
Wed Sep 15 15:21:20 PDT 2004

>From the AP:

A California Republican congressman introduced a constitutional amendment
Wednesday that would allow Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to run for president.
But he insisted the candidate he really wants to see is a 76-year-old House
Democrat from Hungary.

"There are those here today who will interpret this constitutional proposal
permitting naturalized citizens to serve as president as a political ploy,"
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, an early supporter of Schwarzenegger's gubernatorial
bid, said in remarks prepared for the House floor.

"This is no ploy. I honestly believe that Tom Lantos should be able to seek
the highest office in the land, just like any other elected official."

Lantos, D-Calif., who's served in the House for more than two decades, said
he was flattered but saw no need to amend the Constitution.

"However, if the Austro-Hungarian Empire is re-established in the United
States, I will invite Arnold Schwarzenegger to be my lieutenant," he said.

Joking aside, Rohrabacher said in an interview that Schwarzenegger is doing
a great job as governor and voters might want to elect him president one
day. But the Orange County lawmaker said that was just a short-term benefit
to his proposal to allow anyone who's been a citizen for 20 years or more to
be eligible to run for president.

"We've got some talented people who might be able to help our country and
provide some much-needed leadership, and there's no reason if they've been a
citizen for over 20 years to exclude them," Rohrabacher said.

His proposed amendment has companion legislation in the Senate authored by
Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah.

Schwarzenegger, who became a citizen in 1983, has said he supports amending
the Constitution so he and other foreign-born citizens could be president.
But he's sidestepped questions about whether he might want to run, saying
he's focused on governing California.

It takes two-thirds majority votes in both the House and the Senate for
Congress to propose a constitutional amendment, and then three-fourths of
states must pass it, too.

Ron Force        Moscow ID USA
rforce at moscow.com