Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: [Vision2020] Leadership

sean o2design at wsu.edu
Wed Sep 1 14:39:35 PDT 2004

LOL.  And I thought UofI grads valued open and not close-mindedness.

I would "display" cross burningsŠbut they are not
part of the subject matter in my history course.

I will "display" (show) symbols from cultures whose values I do not espouse.

Displaying or showing, whichever term you choose,
does not mean backing a movement.  Drawing
lessons from a movement or person does not mean
advocating their cause.

Moreover, the use a past symbol can have changed
meaning.  Witness the use of the swastika by the
Dogtown skate movement.  The group, chronicle in
the acclaimed 'Z Boyz' film, captures the spirit
of the movement.  Did their use of the symbol
mean they supported Hilter?  Some skinhead
skaters may have seen things that way.  You'd
have to study them closely to make your own
informed position (an opinion you could form with
no such effort).

But maybe all you and others are trying to say is
what the Beatles crooned a long time ago:

"if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you
ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow"

What we really have to fear is the unwillingness
to discuss issues, or to see when values are
deeply shrouded by symbols crafted to mislead or
falsely associate with a cause not actually
supported.

--
Thanks,

         Sean Michael