Fwd: RE: [Vision2020] Ineffective Leadership Principles of Robert E. Lee

sean o2design at wsu.edu
Wed Sep 1 13:06:16 PDT 2004

For some "the question" (as if only one question is right, worthwhile
or acceptable here) is probably not whether Lee was the best choice.
It is what should leaders reflect in terms of values.  That seems to
transcend all the views here.  What some, like Mr. Kimmel, seem to be
able to do is separate the character flaws/moral failures of a leader
so as to mine valuable lessons/principles.

Character flaws/moral failures are not too hard to find in any
leader, leaders being flawed humans like those they lead.  Is the
suggestion that anyone with flaws cast out of the pool of "leaders
worth learning from"?  Or are only certain flaws/failures capable of
eliminating a leader?  The following are leaders lauded for their
skills in leadership.  Would you advocate using each of them in lieu
of Lee?

Sun Tzu
Dick Marcinko
Gen. Sherman
Malcolm X

Determine the principles, then choose the leader who embodies them.
Perhaps that is the path being suggested by Melynda and others?

--
Thanks,

         Sean Michael
         .dwg