[Vision2020] Ineffective Leadership Principles of Robert E. Lee

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Wed Sep 1 11:39:12 PDT 2004

Sean's question appears to be:  are the qualities attributed to Lee by H.W.
Crocker and borrowed by Paul Kimmell admirable in and of themselves?  He
implies a follow up--if they are admirable, why not admire them as embodied
by Lee, without reference to other, less admirable traits or positions?

While I myself admire generosity, gentleness, and nobility in the abstract,
I don't believe they occur in human beings without a context.  The
deeply-held religious principles of Hammas or the Inquisition are not in
themselves a good, since their context is one of destruction and human
suffering.  The generosity of Robert E. Lee to other white men is not in
itself a good, since he was incapable of fully extending that generosity to
men and women who were not white.  We could multiply examples of notorious
figures in history who had some good qualities counterbalanced by evil ones.
  Osama bin Laden is a hell of a fundraiser, very organized, and
self-disciplined--fine qualities in a business leader--but don't get out the
Powerpoint just yet.

Context-bound as we are, when Lee is held up as a moral example, we are
likely to divide into two camps:  those for whom the evil of racism
outweighs any personal good in Lee's character, and those for whom Lee's
personal virtues outweigh his commitment to racism.

So the question is not, "Did Robert E. Lee have any leadership qualities
worthy of emulation?" but "Is Robert E. Lee the best possible example of a
leader for local business people to learn about and emulate?"

Melynda Huskey