[Vision2020] 10-26-04 LA Times OP/ED: Worse Than the Usual Bad

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Tue Oct 26 12:19:14 PDT 2004

Dan writes:

>well, we shouldn't have to worry about them using said explosives to
>detonate nuclear weapons, because there aren't any there . . .
>
>right?

Heck, yeah!  And they aren't at all portable, those explosives, so they
surely wouldn't be of any use to any near-by nation developing nuclear
weapons--like, say, Pakistan.  And there aren't any nuclear materials
unaccounted for in the former Soviet Union, either, or other worrisome bad
neighbors on the planet who might pay top riyal/ruble/NK won/dollar for
explosives like those.

It must be quite a dilemma, really, for the Iraqis.  Sell for lots of money
to finance insurgent/guerilla projects on a larger scale or just convert
them to IEDs and use them right at home . . .

But there's really nothing funny about it.  These explosives will be used,
one way or another, against U.S. troops.  More innocent people--both Iraqi
and U.S. citizens--will die as a consequence of this failure.

Call me a flip-flopper if you will:  I could not have opposed this war any
more strongly, and I still believe it to be a morally and intellectually
bankrupt enterprise.  But for God's sake, and I'm most emphatically not
swearing here, if we're going to have a war, we've got to prosecute it
effectively, thoroughly, and with a plan.  It's too late to get out--we're
committed.  So we'd better start taking our responsibilities as an invading
force and occupying conqueror a little more seriously.

Melynda Huskey