[Vision2020] Fwd: MCA Debates

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 18:12:30 PDT 2004

Visionaries:
Keely Mix and I agree on many things, not the least of which is last Friday's
disputatio.  I also attended, as did my daughter-in-law, Joan Opyr.  That
evening I wrote a letter to the Daily News about my experience there.

"Editor:
I was privileged this afternoon to watch local politics enjoy its finest hour
of the current  campaign season.  Mark Solomon speaking to New St. Andrews
students and faculty at the 4:30 disputatio was a badly needed reminder that in
an open society we can have civil dialogue, and treat each other with grace
and dignity while not necessarily sharing the same political perspective.
Mark's topics included private and public education and a general discussion of
property tax.  It is difficult to imagine an area more fraught with dangers and
yet it worked, and worked brilliantly.
Mark Solomon did what many local candidates won't do.  He spoke to an
audience that arguably will not be supporting his candidacy.  He answered thoughtful,
intelligent questions and addressed sensitive topics.  By opening this
dialogue he sets an example that other candidates should follow. He showed that he
is accessible, honest, and open about who he is and what he believes.
I would also like to complement the faculty and students of New St. Andrews
who invited Mark to speak and listened respectfully to what he had to say.
Today's disputatio was a beacon of light in a bleak political season.  Thanks to
all of you who took part, and a special thank you to Mark for his courage, his
integrity, and his willingness to listen to others.  Mark welded more than
steel sculptures today, he began to build a bridge across the chasm in this
community...just as I believe he will in the State Legislature.
Rosemary Huskey"

And, thanks, Keely, for reminding us that integrity is more than words, its
actions.

Rose Huskey

"One cannot level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan