[Vision2020] What Republicans Believe

Mike Weatherford fueledbyramen at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 15:53:20 PDT 2004

Donovan,

  It appears that you got the wrong idea from my last post. Which is
perfectly fair, because I did a very poor job of conveying the right one. My
apologies. What I had intended to suggest is not that I am for -lowering-
the voting age;  I will be one of the first in line to suggest that such a
course of action would probably not be as fruitful as one might hope. But I
-am- against raising it. I was simply stating that, from my experience,
spending two years almost completely inside the system but not being allowed
to vote on how that system was being run, was a bit frustrating.
Understandable, sure, but not fun. I would not like to see that extended to
five years. While there would be many who wouldn't care, there also would be
many who would, and those people then could end up starting off their adult
lives feeling frustrated and disenfranchised by the voting system.

  As to the rest of your post, I am inclined to agree. Partially. I hang out
with teenagers and people in their early 20's on a fairly regular basis. Not
all of them are people I want deciding the fate of our country. But, as I
implied before, I know people who are 10, 20, 50 years older than me who I
would not want having a say in the fate of our country, either. Setting the
legal voting age to adulthood (18) makes perfect sense to me. I see it as a
small priveledge that one recieves in exchange for some potentially large
sacrifices. Registering for selective services, moving out of the parent's
house, furthering one's education (through college or the cold, sharp schock
of entering the workforce immediately after high school,) and the multitude
of tiny responsibilities that come with being a legal adult in the eyes of
the state.

  Of course, teenagers make mistakes. Many of them make a lot of mistakes.
Some, a lucky few, make a very small number of mistakes. Perhaps the votes
they cast will be one of them - perhaps I will regret the votes I cast this
november. Perhaps not. But I like to think of mistakes as learning
experiences, whenever possible. Even if I ultimately come to regret my
decisions, at least I can learn something from them. It sounds like you
may've made a poor decision or two during your wilder, younger years.
Perhaps you learned something from them; It certainly sounds like it. I like
to think that the strapping young lads of this generation, myself included,
will get the same oppertunity to learn something from thier poorly
thought-out, hastily cast votes. But I suppose we'll see.

Take care,
-Mike