[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 22 06:00:01 PDT 2004

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

October 22, 2004

Dear Friends,

There are many points of pride at the University of Idaho, and the longer
I'm here, the more I discover. This week I had the opportunity to learn more
about a Vandal program that is recognized nationally for its contribution to
the security of our nation - the cybersecurity and information assurance
work of Professors Deborah Frincke and James Alves-Foss in one of the
country's Centers of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education.

The University of Idaho was reapproved as a Center of Academic Excellence in
spring 2002. Our Center for Secure and Dependable Software - headed by
Professors Frincke and Alves-Foss - is the university's focal research unit
in this interdisciplinary effort. It was one of the original seven
so-designated centers in 1999 and now is among 59 others at universities in
27 states.

On Tuesday, I arrived in Baltimore to attend the sixth annual meeting of
presidents and professors from those centers. The daylong session - which
was led by Dan Wolf, the information assurance director in the National
Security Agency, and several representatives from the Department of Homeland
Security - covered a variety of topics, including putting operational
security into the curriculum. We can take great pride in knowing that
University of Idaho professors - who teach Idaho students through their
cutting-edge research - are national leaders in their area of expertise.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

. The annual Tutxinmepu Pow-Wow, a gathering of Northwest Indian tribes,
comes to the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center today and Saturday. Free and open
to the public, the pow-wow's grand entry of dancers begins tonight at 7
p.m., followed by honor dances and songs, drum and royalty contests until
midnight. Other grand parade entries are at noon and at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Vendors and booths, Miss Tutxinmepu Pageant, other Native American dance
competitions, arts and crafts, sale of fry bread and other ethnic foods also
support the pow-wow. UI's Native American Student Association has sponsored
the event for six years.

. Education, community, nature and family have always been important in the
life of Dorothy Baldridge Lindsey '63. Dorothy and her parents, H. Fred
Baldridge '34 and Dorothy Gooch Baldridge '31 are all University of Idaho
graduates. Both of her parents were well-known teachers in the Treasure
Valley. To honor her parents who are now deceased, Dorothy established the
Baldridge Memorial Arboretum Fund with a contribution of $50,000, the
largest single gift ever received to support the arboretum. "The arboretum
was always my dad's favorite place on campus. It's a beautiful and serene
place they both loved. I look forward to providing funds for Phase II of the
master plan to be developed and also honor my mom and dad in such a
meaningful way," Lindsey said. Dorothy and her husband, Bill, reside in
Pasadena, Calif.