[Vision2020] "Election Determines Fate of Nation"

Dan Carscallen predator75 at moscow.com
Wed Oct 20 11:12:34 PDT 2004

Fuel for the fire

DC

>  Subject: "Election determines fate of nation"
>  written by Mathew Manweller
>  Central Washington University political science professor..

>  "Election determines fate of nation"
>
>  "In that this will be my last column before the presidential
election,
>  there will be no sarcasm, no attempts at witty repartee.  The topic
is
>  too serious, and the stakes are too high.
>
>  This November we will vote in the only election during our lifetime
>  that will truly matter.  Because America is at a once-in-a-generation

>  crossroads, more than an election hangs in the balance.  Down one
path
>  lies retreat, abdication and a reign of ambivalence.  Down the other

>  lies a nation that is aware of its past and accepts the daunting
> obligation its future demands.
>
>  If we choose poorly, the consequences will echo through the next 50
>  years of history.  If we, in a spasm of frustration, turn out the
>  current occupant of the White House, the message to the world and
>  ourselves will be two-fold.
>
>  First, we will reject the notion that America can do big things. Once
>  nation that tamed a frontier, stood down the Nazis and stood upon the

>  moon, we will announce to the world that bringing democracy to
>  the Middle East is too big of a task for us. But more significantly,
we
>  will signal to future presidents that as voters, we are unwilling to

>  tackle difficult challenges, preferring caution to boldness,
embracing
>  the mediocrity that has characterized other civilizations.  The
defeat
>  of President Bush will send a chilling message to future presidents
>  who may need to make difficult, yet unpopular decisions. America has
 >  always been a nation that rises to the demands of history regardless

>  of the costs or appeal.  If we turn away from that legacy, we turn
>  away from who we are.
>
>  Second, we inform every terrorist organization on the globe that the

>  lesson of Somalia was well learned.  In Somalia we showed terrorists
that
>  you don't need to defeat America on the battlefield when you can
defeat
>  them in the newsroom.  They learned that a wounded America can become
>  defeated America.Twenty-four-hour news stations and daily tracing
polls
>  will do the heavy lifting, turning a cut into a fatal blow.  Except
>  that Iraq is Somalia times 10.  The election of John Kerry will serve

>  notice to every terrorist in every cave that the soft underbelly of
>  American power is the timidity of American voters.  Terrorists will
>  know that a steady stream of grizzly photos for CNN is all you need
>  break the will of the American people.  Our own self-doubt will take

>  it from there.  Bin Laden will recognize that he can topple any
> [...]

---------
A.G. Edwards & Sons' outgoing and incoming e-mails are electronically
archived and subject to review and/or disclosure to someone other than
the recipient. We cannot accept orders for transactions or other similar
instructions through e-mail. We cannot ensure the security of
information e-mailed over the Internet, so you should be careful when
transmitting confidential information such as account numbers and
security holdings.