[Vision2020] Latah GOP candidates renege on agreement to debate

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Fri Oct 8 17:23:50 PDT 2004

Latah GOP candidates renege on agreement to debateJanesta and Vision2020 members,

Thank you for your question, Janesta.  The short answer is that nobody had even been selected and offered as a possible moderator/question selector at the debates.

I am the person who was setting up the debates on behalf of the Moscow Civic Association.  I was shocked to learn from a newspaper reporter that according to a letter signed by Barrett Schroeder, Chairman of the Latah County Republicans, almost half the candidates in the MCA debates, the Republicans, had "decided to decline your [MCA's] invitation to participate."  Nobody contacted me to attempt to work  out their concerns before withdrawing.

I had personally discussed the debates on the telephone with every one of the candidates.  The nearly universal reaction from the candidates, Republicans, Democrats and Independent, had been  strongly positive -- real pleasure expressed at the fact that someone was putting together a forum in which issues could be addressed substantively at some length, since the forum I proposed from the outset was to provide approximately one hour per race.  Most of the forums occur over a total of an hour or two, as opposed to the five hours that MCA was offering, and the nature of those other forums preclude extended comment from any candidate due to time constraints.

We are going to have a moderator who merely keeps track of time and tells candidates that their time is up.  We are also going to have a question selector.

I think the current controversy is really about the questions, which are to come from the audience.  The questions that are to be asked would be selected from written questions submitted by the audience and given at the meeting to the question selector.  Our intent is to have a fair "question selector."  I was in the process of trying to get a so-called "question selector" who would be acceptable to the parties.  I had never gotten back to any of the parties with a person who would be offered as THE "question selector."

Jeff Harkins, a Republican candidate for Commissioner, is the only person of all the candidates who even inquired about who would be doing the questioning.  I told Jeff that we hadn't selected or even contacted anyone about doing the job, yet, but that one person I was contemplating was Kenton Bird, an MCA member and the interim head of the U of I's Journalism Dept.  Jeff did not comment one way or the other on Kenton.  Jeff did suggest four other people, none of whom I knew, as possibilities.

I contacted Kenton to inquire whether he was interested and available, and Kenton informed me that he was willing to do the questioning for the Monday October 25 debates (Sheriffs and County Commissioners), but that he was unwilling to do so at the State Representative debates because he had donated money to one or both of those Democratic candidates.  Before I could check with the Sheriff and County Commissioner candidates about whether Kenton might be acceptable as the "question selector," and before I had even come up with a possible "question selector" for the State Representative debates on Wednesday October 27, I received the letter via fax from a newspaper reporter that the Republicans were withdrawing from the debates.

I would also like to address the "spin" by Barrett Schroeder, Chairman of the Latah County Republicans, that somehow I was encouraging "cheating" when I suggested that it would be appropriate for a candidate to ask a supporter to raise a question on an issue which the candidate felt was important to have addressed.  I made this comment in my conversation with Jeff Harkins, who had expressed concern -- in response to hearing that the questions would come from the audience -- that the Moscow Civic Association was "Liberal."  I told him first, that I disagreed with that perception, but also that he could bring his supporters, that this was an open meeting, and that we would love to have hundreds of people show up who were not MCA members.  The idea of these debates was to address the important issues of substance, and if he had some questions "favorable" to his position I thought there would be nothing wrong in having his supporters pose such a question.

By email to each and every candidate I wrote:  "I see nothing wrong in a candidate having someone submit a question because the candidate thinks it is an important issue that needs to be addressed.  The more substance that we can address, the better."

I fail to see how asking issues of substance is "cheating," Barrett.

Finally, at least one candidate, Representative Trail, is suggesting that I changed the format to a race-by-race debate after the candidates committed.  That is emphatically NOT the case.  A survey of all the candidates will establish that I told them in my initial conversations that the debates would be done with questions from the audience, directed to the candidates race-by-race, and that the Sheriffs and County Commissioner debates would be on Monday and that the State Rep races would be on Wednesday.  (I did change the date of the State Rep debates from Tuesday to Wednesday because Rep. Trail informed me that he had a conflict on that Tuesday with a prior scheduled Latah County Republicans Central Committee meeting.)

It is possible that Representative Trail misunderstood me and made an assumption based on past forums.  I suppose it is also possible that I omitted the race-by race aspect of the debate in my conversation with Representative Trail, though I do not think that is the case.  The former possibility is more likely, in my opinion, as the race-by-race format and the extended time frame were MCA's main objectives in formulating the debates.  But I did not change the format after obtaining commitments from the candidates.

I will not call Representative Trail a liar, for it is obvious to me that one or the other of us is mistaken.  He is my former neighbor, and he supported the MCA endorsed candidates for City Council last year.  I pounded the Chaney and Dickinson signs on his property, moving them at his direction to a more visible location across from where the Mountainview Park parking lot exits to the street.

The Moscow Civic Association is not a radical fringe group, as Representative Trail's support for the same City Council candidates that we endorsed should show.  We are an activist group of citizens interested in promoting open government and public involvement in the political process.  The Moscow Civic Association is not endorsing any candidate in this election.

Extended discussion of issues, substantively, is in the interest of everyone.  I am confident that a fair question selector will be found, and I would be happy to receive suggestions of people to consider for the job.  The MCA debates will go forward with or without the Republican candidates. It would be best for the citizens of Latah County if the Republicans participated.

Bruce Livingston
Moscow Civic Association
Committe on Elections and Debates