[Vision2020] Latah GOP candidates renege on agreement to debate

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Thu Oct 7 11:55:04 PDT 2004

Latah GOP candidates renege on agreement to debateMs. Chaney writes:

I can appreciate that candidates' forums and debates can be time-consuming and
nerve-wracking, particularly when the sponsoring body is unfamiliar to
panelists. It is my strong hope that those candidates who are considering
boycotting MCA's debates recognize that attendees are also their constituents,
that tough questions are and should be part of the territory, that they may
certainly decline to respond to questions that seem inappropriate, and finally,
that membership in MCA is open to them too!

This can be said in another, though not as polite way:

When a person is a public official (elected or otherwise) or serves on a board
which spends public funds, that person can and should expect all sorts of
questions and input, some quite hostile.  Input, animosity, misunderstanding,
hostility, etc. are part [perhaps unfortunately] of public service.

Having been a public servant in a very controversial subject area, I know that
the experience can sometimes be very frustrating and maddening.  However, those
who believe in freedom of expression and also believe that (as Ms. Chaney also
points out) one can learn something from even the most seeming outrageous input,
also believe that the ability to listen to and to respond to alternate points of
view is a most essential part of being a public servant.

Those, such as the Latah County GOP candidates, who refuse to address the
concerns of those different factions that may or may not vote for them are
showing disrespect not only for those they refuse to address but for the
fundamental cornerstone of an open, democratic society:  freedom of expression.

But Barrett Schroeder said the Republican candidates plan to attend more than a
dozen other debates and forums. They're just not going to give the civic
association and "Mark Solomon's friends and family" a shot at them so close to
Election Day.

The last thing we need in public servants are persons who are afraid to express
and to defend their ideas and qualifications.  As expressed earlier, such
refusal by candidates to enter public debate with people of differing views are
truly cowards and not worthy of our consideration at the polls.

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco at moscow.com