[Vision2020] Totally unscientific poll

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 1 10:40:32 PDT 2004

Hi Janesta,

You wrote:
"I Hope to see a lot of the vision2020 crowd there. It would be fun to meet
you."

I hope there was an excellent turnout for this important event!

Most regrettably, I'm currently out-of-state, ironically helping with a
family member's health & health care crisis, so I was unable to attend.

I have an interest in health care issues in general, and in the pathetic
state of mental health care in Idaho specifically, and I'd have loved to
have the opportunity to hold some local feet to the fire <g>.

I'm wondering if any of the candidates addressed the true lack of parity for
mental health coverage in Idaho and offered strategies for getting Idaho
into compliance with the spirit of the federal Mental Health Parity Act, as
several other states have done?  I'm sick of hearing "the insurance lobby is
too powerful in Idaho for there to be meaningful reform"!

Good grief!  I've no doubt that the insurance lobby is powerful in Idaho, as
it is in ALL other states, but Idaho has the advantage of being relatively
small population-wise.  I firmly believe that our legislators *must* band
together across party lines to, at a *minimum*, close the loopholes that
allow Idaho employers -- and insurance companies -- to splinter off mental
health care to inferior carriers with inadequate benefits & provider
networks which see Idaho as ripe for the picking & fleecing.  If Idaho
employers (including the University of Idaho) and insurance companies won't
play the game ethically and morally, then legislative action is a MUST to
protect this most vulnerable segment of our community!  The actions of Idaho
employers and insurance carriers is shameful in this regard . . . truly
shameful, and I want state representatives who are committed to ending this
farce.

Whew, sorry -- off my soapbox for now  ;-)

So, I'd be interested in hearing if any of the candidates addressed this
issue.  Also, I'd sure appreciate it if some of you who were able to attend
would share your summaries of the forum with those of us who weren't
present.

TIA,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID