[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 1 09:14:35 PDT 2004

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho
Alumni and Friends
October 1, 2004
Dear Friends,

We returned our flag in front of the Administration Building to full staff
Monday to provide some closure to the events of last week. It was a simple yet
poignant ceremony that included a moment of silence, “Taps” played by Professor
Robert McCurdy, and the carillon playing “Here We Have Idaho” as student body
President Isaac Myhrum raised the flag.

This tribute gave our community the opportunity to take final pause and
remember students Eric McMillan, Jason Yearout and Jack Shannon. Dean of
Students Bruce Pitman and his staff continue to work closely with those most
affected as we all work to resume our “normal” routines. On behalf of the
University, I thank those of you who wrote to offer support and condolences
during our difficult week.

On another topic, the University Vision and Resources Task Force issued its
report last week. Completion of the task force report marks the beginning of
what will be a thorough, open, and inclusive review process before we get to
decisions. As you may recall, I appointed the 25-member task force to develop
ideas for a long-term design for the University based upon a shared vision, a
commitment to excellence, and that is attendant with necessary budget cuts,
reallocations and possibilities of revenue generation. Since the report was
released, Vandal athletics and the University of Idaho Foundation seem to be
getting the most attention externally.

Let me clearly affirm what the task force report emphasizes: The University of
Idaho will “demonstrate excellence,” “be student-focused,” and have a “passion
for knowledge and discovery.” The defining characteristic of intercollegiate
athletics at the University must be the success of our student athletes.
Consistent with the task force recommendation, the University of Idaho will
move all 16 intercollegiate sports to the Western Athletic Conference next
year. We are committed to demonstrating success and long-term sustainability in
Division 1A athletics.

Regarding the partnership between the University of Idaho Foundation and the
University, it is simply imperative that both organizations are independent,
mutually supportive and healthy. This critical relationship optimizes the
University’s ability to identify priorities and achieve its aspirations for
excellence.

I hope you will read the task force report at www.vert.uidaho.edu/home and
participate in our statewide conversation about the future direction of this
remarkable, resilient University.

Tim White
President

Here’s the latest news from the University of Idaho:

• U.S. Marine Corps 1st Lt. Alexander E. Wetherbee ’01 was buried with full
military honors in Arlington National Cemetery last week. The University of
Idaho natural resources graduate was killed in action Sept. 12 while serving in
Anbar province in Iraq.

• A team from the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
will be on the Moscow campus Oct. 4 – 6 for the University’s normal 10-year
institutional re-accreditation visit. The team will review the University’s
self-study and conduct interviews with faculty, staff, and students.