[Vision2020] 11-19-04 Spokesman-Review: Flawed report on terrorism gets even worse

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Sun Nov 21 09:21:28 PST 2004

Flawed report on terrorism gets even worse
No politics detected, but credibility takes hit

Josh Meyer
Los Angeles Times
November 21, 2004

WASHINGTON - Five months after embarrassed State Department officials admitted
to widespread mistakes in the government's influential annual report on global
terrorism, internal investigators have found new and unrelated errors - as well
as broader underlying problems that they say essentially have destroyed the
credibility of the statistics it is based on.

In a 28-page report, the State Department's Office of Inspector General blamed
the problems on sloppy data collection, inexperienced employees, personnel
shortages and lax oversight. Investigators also concluded that the procedures
used by the State Department, CIA and other agencies to define terrorism and
terrorist attacks are so inconsistent that they can't be relied upon.

The department's independent investigative unit concluded, however, that
politics played no role in allowing so many mistakes to be published in the
original version of the "Patterns of Global Terrorism" report for 2003.

The 2003 report said that terrorist attacks and related deaths had dropped to
the lowest levels in three decades, and top Bush administration officials
immediately touted it as proof of their success in the global war on terrorism.

But the underlying data actually showed a sharp increase to a 21-year high. The
199-page report, made public on April 29, also omitted any significant terrorist
attacks occurring after an early November cut-off date, including bombings in
Turkey that killed at least 62 people, and left out some activity in Chechnya,
Iraq and other locations.

Those errors were fixed in a second version of the terrorism report, released on
June 22. But six Democratic senators, suggesting the Bush administration was
manipulating terror statistics for election-year political gain, asked Secretary
of State Colin Powell to find out what had gone wrong, prompting the
investigation by the inspector general. A copy of the inspector general's
conclusions, marked "sensitive but unclassified," was obtained by the Los
Angeles Times.

The annual report has been mandated by Congress since 1987 as the government's
authoritative reference tool on worldwide terrorist activity, trends and groups
and the U.S. response to it.

The document is relied on by Congress and U.S. counterterrorism agencies in
deciding how to wage the ongoing war on terror, and is translated into at least
four languages so the public, academics and foreign governments can use it to
assess trends in terrorism.

The investigators, overseen by the State Department's acting inspector general,
Cameron R. Hume, stopped short of calling for a second revision of the widely
circulated report. But they concluded that the report, even in its revised form,
"cannot be viewed as reliable" because of the questionable statistics on
terrorist attacks, casualties and other issues. The report urged better
oversight and management of the annual terrorism report card "in order to
produce a world-class product."

A State Department spokesman declined to comment publicly on the internal
report, but said the department has no plans to review or reissue the 2003
"Patterns" document a second time.

"We think it's best to just move on, and make sure we fix what needs to be
fixed," said the official.

On Friday, Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., one of the lawmakers who requested the
investigation, said the lack of objective benchmarks to measure terrorist
activity jeopardizes the campaign against terror. "Either through indifference
or incompetence . these errors have damaged the credibility of this important
assessment, undermining our ability to determine what policies and programs are
effective in fighting terrorism," Leahy said.

A senior congressional official said the inspector general's findings confirm
what experts have been saying for years - that the annual "Patterns" report is
seriously flawed as a tool to measure progress in the war on terrorism, or
analyze the rapidly changing nature of terrorism.

"We become the laughingstock if we redo it. But (not doing it) poses a serious
credibility problem," said the official, a terrorism analyst on Capitol Hill.
"This determines where we put our resources, what we tell other countries, what
we think the trends are. And this just ruins our credibility. People just don't
trust us anymore."

Michael Kraft, a senior counterterrorism official in the State Department until
earlier this year, defended the annual "Patterns" report as immensely valuable,
and said it is almost impossible to be entirely accurate given all of the
variables that go into analyzing terrorism.

"It's not always easy. The numbers themselves don't always mean a great deal.
They have to be put in context," Kraft said. "Even with the best of efforts -
and a lot of time and work goes into it - there is always going to be a certain
amount of fuzziness."

But investigators identified more systemic shortcomings, particularly a
long-standing failure by the State Department, CIA and other agencies to use
consistent standards to identify and classify terrorism-related events.

For example, some multiple bombings in the same city - such as bomb attacks on
March 25, 2003, on four U.N. police stations in Pristina, Serbia, and attacks on
two embassies in Caracas, Venezuela, on Feb. 25 - were counted as single terror
incidents. But grenade attacks on two targets in Kashmir on April 12, and bomb
attacks on two synagogues in Istanbul on Nov. 15, were each listed as two terror
incidents.

Additionally, some items were included or dropped without apparent reason. The
discovery of an explosive device at an IBM facility in Italy on March 31 was
deleted without explanation from the second version of the 2003 report. But a
parcel bomb hidden in a book that was sent to the Greek consulate in Madrid on
Sept. 8 was added to the revised version.

Investigators said no records or minutes are kept to explain how these decisions
are made. Thus officials "could only speculate on why some events were included
or not included," according to the report.

Meanwhile, there appear to be obvious inconsistencies within the revised 2003
report, said another congressional staff member. Among them: The corrected
2002 in one section, but 3,072 casualties, or 334 more, in a separate
statistical review.

Long-standing guidelines have not kept pace with changes in terrorism.

The report considers international terrorism to be violence against noncombatant
targets by subnational groups or clandestine agents and which involves citizens
of two or more countries.

This effectively omitted countless incidents in Chechnya and Iraq.