[Vision2020] Historic Precedence

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Fri Nov 19 16:42:00 PST 2004

Ted replies:

OK, Wayne, fair enough.  Now I ask you to apply your standards of observation
and testing and provide verifiable proof of the truth of the following statement
regarded by many as the foundation of American Democracy:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that
they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among
these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Without wishing to sound like a traitor, I think the statement at issue is
neither true nor false, like its sometimes cited corollary:  "That which governs
least, governs best.

Both statements are like the following statement:

"The square root of a minus tush abdicates salt."

All three statements are syntactically correct and sound like possibly true or
false English statements.  But because their meaning is so vague and ambiguous,
it is not possible to determine their truth except by deducing them from other
equally vague, ambiguous statements.

It would be incorrect to say that the statements are meaningless because they do
make some people feel good (or not).  However, the statements lack meaning in
the sense that the statement "There are exactly five apple trees in old man
Hansen's back yard" has meaning.  Because of their vagueness and ambiguity, it
is not possible, so far, to agree upon test conditions/observations for their
truth.

I think it is possible to recast "Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and
the pursuit of Happiness"into a less dogmatic, more flexible series of
statements which may be found to be heuristically true (or false) by
observations in certain contexts.  Doing so correctly, however, would probably
take much more time and discussion than I have left in my life.

Thank you Ted, however, for illustrating the philosophical problem of
establishing the meaning/truth of political "First Principles."

Wayne

Wayne A. Fox
waf at moscow.com
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID 83843
208 882-7975

[PS:  Because I unintentionally changed the name of the thread, many did not
grasp the context of the Calvin & Hobbes cartoon I posted earlier.  The context
was the discussion of the biosphere and the use/waste of limited natural
resource by a burgeoning world population, especially the western, affluent
world.]