[Vision2020] Jays

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Tue Nov 16 22:12:15 PST 2004

I love living in the country. We have a pair of golden eagles hanging around (I think
we got them from the Moscow Mountain fire 2 summers ago when they got
displaced). It's made my cat very careful--she walks around UNDER our big dog!
One of them stooped for her last summer and nearly got nailed by our levitating
Border Collie. We did lose a cat to a Horned Owl a few years back--plucked her right
off the roof. The wrens are great, and we have NO mosquitos thanks to the many
varieties of birds (and bats) around our pond. We do have a murder of crows and a
convocation of doves. Ravens are our favorites (hence the name of our farm--
RavenCroft). They are stately, sharp tongued, and mostly good guests, unlike the
magpie infestation 4 years ago. The swallows nest under our patio and are afraid of
nothing. I'm already missing the Hummingbirds which confront me every time I cut a
flower to take into the house....All year around, the birds are one of the best things
about the Palouse (not counting the weasels which like to slide down our driveway
when it freezes...)

Debi R-S