[Vision2020] Jays

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Tue Nov 16 16:11:57 PST 2004

Hi Wayne & Kit,

YES -- I've had the true Blue Jays, too, and boy, are they loud  :-)  We've had
them visit the past couple of winters.  I discovered them one morning when I
heard an unfamiliar racket & went to see who was responsible  :-)  Aren't they
just wonderful?!?

I don't think we've had the Stellar's Jay, though  :-(

Today has been a real boon -- we've had *lots* of different kinds of birds that
are a bit out of the ordinary for our yard.

Kit, I happen to like (and feed) the squirrels as well as the birds, so I
wouldn't be too happy about the hawk wanting to use my feeding stations as a
smorgasbord.  Don't get me wrong -- I like raptors, too, but I'd appreciate it
if they wouldn't make their meals out of the birds & squirrels I enjoy, and
right in my yard, too!

I'm on a vet med list recently that was discussing safe & legal techniques for
discouraging hawks from preying on small mammals.  I didn't pay a lot of
attention to the suggestions (I just go hang out in the yard to discourage them
whenever they come to collect their meals from my yard/feeders), but let me know
offlist if you'd like me to send you the suggestions.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke