[Vision2020] On being an elitist

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 16 07:38:52 PST 2004

Over the last two weeks, several self-appointed experts analyzing the
election have referred to the "liberal elite".  Since, even though it's
evidently passe to be still be one, I consider myself a liberal, I have to
ask, how am I an "elitist"?  I make somewhat less than a gazillion dollars a
year, I've lived in the same apartment for 137 years, I wear Costco brand
jeans, ditto sneakers, shirts, socks, etc.   I buy Western Family products
whenever possible.  I drink Miller Genuine Draft, for crying out loud.  I
don't know any Holllywood celebrities, although I did find myself sitting a
few rows behind Will Geer (Grandpa Walton) at a concert during Expo '74 in
Spokane once.  We didn't keep in touch, though.  Call me a reprobate, that I
can't deny.  But an "elitist"?  Please.

        Carl Westberg Jr.