[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 12 05:41:41 PST 2004

Below is today’s (November 12, 2004) UI Friday Letter which is posted every
Firday courtesy of yours’ truly.

Office of the President

Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151

Phone: 208-885-6365

Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends November 12, 2004

Dear Friends,

What a terrific time we had last weekend! Karen and I thoroughly enjoyed the
Homecoming activities and hosting many of the University's special friends.
We were even serenaded on our front porch by the skirted tuba players, who
played and danced an Irish jig! It was especially encouraging to reflect on
the progress of the University of Idaho Foundation, which celebrated
increases in its net assets, a dramatic decrease in its debt and healthy
disbursement of funds for scholarships and other programs at its annual
meeting.

Specifically, the Foundation's total assets grew by $10.6 million to $205
million in fiscal 2004. UIF indebtedness dropped from more than $26 million
at the end of fiscal '03 to $12.9 million as of Nov. 5, 2004. In July 2004,
the Foundation distributed over $5 million to UI for scholarships, research
and other programs. It also returned $3.5 million to the Consolidated
Investment Trust for reinvestment. Interim Executive Director Mike Wilson
attributed the successes to the planning and investment decisions of the UIF
Investment Committee as well as the Boise Initiative Committee, which was
created to help manage the financial situation surrounding University Place
in Boise. Let me extend a special thank you to Jim Hawkins for his
leadership as Foundation president this past year.

And my congratulations and thanks to all!

I also enjoyed hosting members of the Idaho Legislature who participated in
the North Idaho Chamber of Commerce Legislative Tour earlier this week.

The lawmakers were on campus Tuesday afternoon. They listened to
presentations from Professor Carolyn Bohach, who outlined details of the
recent $16 million grant designed to bolster the state's biomedical
industry, and Dr. Greg Möller, who developed the water purification
technology that is the basis for Blue Water Technologies, a new and growing
firm based in Coeur d'Alene. They also had the opportunity to tour the new
Living and Learning Center, meet some of our wonderful students, and visit
with Professors Gordon Woods and Dirk Vanderwall about Idaho Gem, the
world's first equine clone.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

~ Keith T. Riffle '62, '63, of Seattle was elected Foundation president for
the next two years. Riffle is the owner of Northwest Satellite Network. He
and his wife, Patt, are Foundation members and were active members of The
Campaign for Idaho's National Campaign Council and Steering Committee.

~ On Wednesday, the University celebrated its newest living complex, the
Living and Learning Center at the corner of Sixth and Line streets. The
eight-building complex features include a common courtyard complete with
food court, landscaped recreation areas and five multi-purpose rooms. The
community features four academically themed houses: Global Village, which
includes both American and international students; Engineering, Natural
Resources and Scholars.

~ Informational receptions for prospective students, their parents and
school counselors interested in University admissions, financial aid,
academics, housing, campus life and more are scheduled for Nov. 17 through
Dec. 2.

Details are at www.students.uidaho.edu/futurestudents/vandalvision.