[Vision2020] "God, Guns and Gays"

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 21:07:10 PST 2004

Ted,

You are correct, I was joking as to the specific legislation, but not to the
strategy of showing that the Republicans are out of touch with the
mainstream of America. Republicans won by putting gay issues on the agenda.
They connected Democrats with the unpopular side of an emotional issue.
Democrats need to match that in equal force. Democrats are not the only ones
that are associated with extremism on an issue.

I don't think you put Democratic legislators at risk if people understand
why you are writing or sponsoring such legislation or are in one party
districts. Congressman Charles Rangel, D-NY, wrote a military draft bill and
was elected, I believe without a real opponent.

Democrats have three options. 1) Abandon their values and principles. 2)
Keep becoming a smaller and smaller party, or 3) Put highly emotional issues
on the ballot in which the majority side with Democrats, such as the
Republicans do against Democrats. To me, option 3 is the most desirable
solution.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold