[Vision2020] The Vandal football thingie

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:28:11 PST 2004

Time will tell if Idaho's venture into the Western Athletic Conference will
be successful.  We'll have to wait and see, though current attendance
figures don't bode well.  But, given the notion that a larger population
base would be necessary to maintain the needed attendance figures, wouldn't
that go against what those of us who live in Moscow love so much about this
Thornton Wilderish "Our Town?"  (Or, as the LA Times referred to Moscow,
"one-pump pigskin gas station?"  Ouch.)  The very small town atmosphere that
we cherish would disappear.  Before you know it, liberals and conservatives
within our community would be hurling invectives at one another, as would
Christians and non-Christians.  Certainly as opposed to the way things are
now, where liberal and conservative neighbors continue to fraternize and get
along famously.  For example, just the other day I helped my conservative
Republican neighbor remove his Bush/Cheney yard sign.  I was such a nice
guy, I did it without waiting for him to ask me. (Joking...) Could we expect
such a collegial atmosphere in a town big enough to support Division 1
football?  Surely not.  Be careful what you wish for.

                           Carl Westberg Jr.