[Vision2020] future of 1912 Building

Bill London london at moscow.com
Wed Nov 10 10:19:14 PST 2004

Mayor's 1912 Center Use Committee Holds Town Hall Meeting November 18 on Community Needs & Programs

WHAT:  A town hall meeting to explore needs and opportunities for community programs in the 1912 Center and means to achieve these needs.

WHO:  All interested Moscow citizens, especially those whose programs who might benefit by access to space in the 1912 Center.

WHERE: 1912 Center, Great Room, 410 East Third Street.  Access is provided from Third Street Plaza.

WHEN:  Thursday evening, November 18, 2004, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

WHY: To identify suggestions for programs and uses that offer broad participation in the 1912 Center by Moscow community members and add value to our citizens' lives.

MORE INFORMATION:  Contact 1912Center at ci.moscow.id.us or phone City Hall at 883-7080.

Please support us as we plan continued progress for Moscow's 1912 Center and identify alternatives to achieve the Center's next development steps.  The Mayor's 1912 Center Use Committee will host its first Town Hall meeting, Thursday evening, November 18 from 7 to 9 pm at the Great Room in the 1912 Center.

The meeting will appeal to ALL citizens of Moscow interested in enhancing community program opportunities in the heart of the downtown at the 1912 Center.  Together we intend to identify programs aspiring to or needing space, and to hear from stakeholders about their organizations and potential funding support.  Preliminary guidelines for developing 1912 Center use/funding proposals will be highlighted, along with potential criteria for evaluation.  Final proposals will be presented to the Mayor's Use Committee early in 2005 following additional public involvement sessions.

Mayor Marshall Comstock and the Moscow City Council appointed a new 1912 Center Use Committee this past fall to build upon the foundations begun in 1998.  Fifteen Moscow citizens representing a cross section of our community began meeting in September, 2004.  Our committee is tasked with developing and evaluating use recommendations and business plan strategies to fund one-time improvements to the 1912 Center and on-going annual expenses for uses and users.  The City Council's target for considering these recommendations is Spring 2005.  The full 1912 Use Committee meets bi-weekly; we encourage the public to attend!  Please consult the City of Moscow web page or contact 1912UseCommittee at ci.moscow.id.us for dates/times of meetings.

Five focus groups, comprised of members of the use committee and other interested citizens, hold regular "break out" discussion and discovery meetings according to the following overlapping topics:  Arts& Culture; Community; History & Learning, Business Planning; and Public Involvement. These smaller break-out groups explore possible options for community activities and programs that might benefit by access to space in the 1912 Center, on a temporary or a permanent basis.  They report their suggestions to the full use committee where they are further reviewed and overlaps are considered.  We encourage additional public input to these groups and at the other planned sessions of our public outreach process, continuing throughout the winter and early spring of 2005.

The committee's intent, with broad public input, is to propose new opportunities for citizens to become more involved in making Moscow, through the 1912 Center, an even more special place to live, to learn and to work.  Determining viable funding options is an important part of this effort.  In this process, we hope to demonstrate added value to the lives of all area citizens and responsible stewardship of resources.

Please share this letter with others you believe may wish to get involved in the 1912 Center Town Hall meeting.  I encourage you to participate on November 18!

Joanne Reece, Chair

Mayor's 1912 Use Committee