[Vision2020] Re: Nice Story about Nick Holt

Art Deco aka W. Fox deco at moscow.com
Tue Nov 9 18:29:25 PST 2004

Chris,

Please allow some of us to be skeptical of UI's attendance facts.

In the early 90's, my wife and I were given tickets to a UI football game.  If
you included all the players and the band, there might have been 1,000 in
attendance at the Kibbie Dome.  The dome was almost deserted.  I made estimates
by counting, etc. several times during the game and came up each time under
1,000.

Imagine my surprise when the papers reported the UI claim that attendance was
over 7,000!  This number obviously did not come from actual bodies in the Dome
at the time.  Maybe that was the number of tickets that were sold or
aggressively given away or maybe it was a serendipitous exaggeration.

The 1-A decision is very important for lots of reasons -- I have an open mind at
this point -- and it needs to be as correct as possible given the stakes and
given the uncertainties.  However, to make the best decision for all concerned,
real facts need to be used, not fantasies.

Wayne

Art Deco  (Wayne Fox)
deco at moscow.com